Wine Spectator 90 points - Rich and lovely wine for the vintage. Aromas of berries, herbs and tobacco. Medium- to full-bodied, with velvety tannins and a medium finish. Soft and delicious. Best after 2004. –JS (Mar 31 2002)
Wine Advocate 89 points - The dark purple-colored 1999 L’Evangile is a blend of 75% Merlot and 25% Cabernet Franc. It reveals an unexpected touch of herbaceousness, which cost it a point or two in the ultimate rating. Nevertheless, the striking, evolved, hedonistic perfume of melted licorice intermixed with black raspberries, minerals, and truffles is an intellectual turn-on. This is a beautiful, medium to full-bodied L’Evangile with a sweet attack and mid-palate. It may merit a higher score, depending on its evolution. Anticipated maturity: 2004-2015. (Apr 2002)
The Léglise family from Libourne founded what is now Château L’Evangile. They were actively involved, around the middle of the 18th century, in building the Pomerol vineyard. L’Evangile appeared in the 1741 land registry under the name of Fazilleau. At the turn of the 19th century, the estate already had much of its current configuration, stretching over some 13 hectares, when it was sold to a lawyer named Isambert. He renamed the estate "L’Evangile”.
In 1862, L’Evangile was purchased by Paul Chaperon, whose descendants, the Ducasse family, would remain the property’s owners until 1990. Paul Chaperon went on making the estate becoming famous, and constructed the L’Evangile in the style of the Second Empire. In the second edition of Cocks Féret in 1868, L’Evangile is registered and is considered as a "Upper-Pomerol 1st growth wine”. Upon the death of Paul Chaperon around 1900, his descendants would run the estate until Louis Ducasse took over the property, which was then in decline and damaged by the frosts of 1956. He put forth great efforts in renewing the vineyard and restoring the L’Evangile name. In 1982, his widow, Simone Ducasse, would continue the family’s role in running the estate.
In 1990, Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite) acquired L’Evangile from the Ducasse family. DBR was interested in bringing sustained care to the operation. DBR’s initial influence included a more refined selection of the fine wines, and the creation of Blason de L’Evangile as a second wine. Efforts also included enhancing the vines’ health with a restoration and renewal plan partially completed until 1998.
The complete renovation of the tank-room and the chais in 2002 will allow the property to complete its new configuration.